Friday, June 17, 2011

Hello again!

Alright, I’m taking a shot at writing this post before I get to the internet café with its crazy French keyboards. I want to thank all of you have have taken the time to send letters, packages, emails, etc. With me moving to site and changing addresses everything has gotten delayed, but I will get back to all of you! Thank so much!

Okay, I’m going to do this post as a list of fun facts about life in Madagascar.

1. You can eat anything with rice. Seriously. For instance: peanut butter, eggs, ramen noodles.

2. A lot of things are also eaten with sugar. The Malagasy love sweet foods. They also think its hilarious and weird when I tell them that we usually eat the same foods with salt, not sugar. For instance: avocado, potatoes, corn.

3. Many Malagasy people do not believe that Michael Jackson is dead. Apparently famous Malagasy people announce that they are dead when they no longer want to be stalked by paparazzi. So they think Michael Jackson did this too.

4. If you are white, you must be French. Having people try to speak French to me can be a lot more confusing than when they speak Malagasy to me.

5. All the Malagasy people in my village want to learn English. And tell me so every day.

6. The typical Malagasy person wakes up around 5 AM and goes to bed by 7 or 8 PM.

7. I am a giant here. For those of you who don’t know me, I am 5’4”, but I am usually taller than all the Malagasy people. In the U.S. I’m generally pretty average to short, but when I stand up in a room full of Malagasy people I can actually see over most heads. It’s a new and interesting experience.

8. There are lots of creative ways to communicate with people when you don’t have cell phones. Locally, you can send a small child to tell someone something or bring someone to your house (this is often how people in my village get me). You can send a note with a passing taxi-brousse. You can announce stuff over the radio.

9. We Americans waste a lot of space in our vehicles. You can probably cram about twice as many people as you would think into your car, and they do it every day here. Riding in a taxi-brousse you will not move when you go around a curve because you are packed in so close to the next person.

10. Meetings here are not usually scheduled in advance. You show up, tell people you are having a meeting (often times a kid goes around the village blowing a whistle), then wait a while until people show up.

11. Conversation typically consists of a statement of what you are currently doing, what you are going to do, or what you are coming from doing. Walking down the street with my water bucket. Neighbor: “Mangala rano.” (Getting water) Leslie “Ia, mangala rano.” (Yes, I am getting water).

1 comment:

  1. haha those are very different things. I would be incredibly frustrated with no scheduled meetings. Medicine has a schedule but you just assume everyone will be late. They have patients after all. Maybe if we had a small child with a whistle in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete