Sunday, October 30, 2011

My Life Lately, in Pictures

I’m feeling uninspired for a blog post lately, but I have been using my camera some more. Here are a few pictures of what I’ve been up to recently…


This is what relief looks like. I recently decided to bike 40 km to Andapa. Well actually it was more like bike/walk since the second half of the “ride” was essentially a never-ending uphill climb. This is the view I had when I turned a corner, could finally see Andapa, and had a quick 3 km downhill finish. (I rode a taxi-brousse home.)

Still building those cookstoves… (Note her white hat that she put on just for the photo op.)

One of my favorite local hangouts. This is the local “soza” stand (“soza” is soy tea, aka very sweet, hot, homemade soy milk) and the only place to find bread in Ambohimanarina. Also the site of my very first cookstove.

These fish cost me 50 cents. And the women came to my house, sold them to me at my doorstep, and proceeded to clean them for me without me even asking.

I just had to go to 2 funerals in 3 days. Too much sitting for my fidgety self. This is just the “ro” (the side dish with the rice) cooking for one of the funerals. I think these might be the largest pots in the world.

Funeral lunch. That thatched roof in the background is my house. This is also not even everyone that ate.

Market day. This is actually towards the end of the market when there’s not a whole lot of people around buying stuff. But it was a particularly good market day.


This is what terror looks like, because white skin is terrifying. At least to this kid. I never appreciated how truly nice diversity is until it was gone from my life.

Came home from a walk to find my neighbor weighing this group of adorable and quite loud kindergarteners in the empty house behind mine.

*Side note: Just chased down the freakiest spider I have ever seen. Usually I’m not disturbed by spiders but this one was a huge mama carrying its babies around with it. Taken care of.

Alright, I’m going to cut it off there since I think this will probably take a while to load. Love and miss you all,

Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment