Saturday, November 10, 2012

Long time no reseau...


My apologies for my long absence from the blogosphere (or whatever you call this place).  A number of confounding circumstances have kept me from modern means of communication lately, and frankly technology is becoming more and more daunting.  Anyhow, I promise a more in depth post ASAP, but for now here’s the brief version of what’s been going on for the past month or so.  Also, my thoughts go out to all of you affected by Hurricane Sandy.

The women’s sewing group here is finally getting their act together.  They are a boisterous bunch, but we arranged and carried out a funded training and they are meeting weekly to sew.  They’ve also started learning a little bit of English to help them sell to “vazaha.”  Turns out my handwriting (not the same cursive as every person who ever went to a school in Madagascar) is somewhat of a hindrance to the learning process, but otherwise things are moving along.

Things in my garden are growing.  I may have summer squash and lettuce soon, along with the possibility of maize, peanuts, melon, and pumpkin in the coming months.  The compost is decomposing and the rains should come in December, so I’m mostly holding out until then to try anything new.  I was hoping to do a school garden but those plans fell through.   However, I have finally managed to find someone in town who is interested in learning environmental things from me.  He has plans to work on a pepiniere (tree nursery) and demonstration garden and starting in the next couple of weeks I’ll be dedicating a lot more of my time to working with him.

There are so many bananas here.  Also the cockroaches are out of control.  Probably unrelated.

English club is out of control—a beginner and advanced class in Ambohimanarina and also in Manantenina once I week.  I maintain that I am NOT an English teacher.

New vazaha in the area!  There is an anthropology researcher from Finland working in Manantenina now (1 km from my village).  I thought my life was hard, but she’s here with a 1 ½ year old daughter and living with a Malagasy family.  We have been having what I call “no-rice-lunch” weekly to relieve her from the thrice daily rice she’s been having otherwise.  Talking in English and about life in the outside world is a refreshing change.

Two of my good friends died within a week of each other.  Needless to say it kind of sucked, but it’s also been a big learning experience for me both culturally and personally (more in another post).  Sometimes I feel like Peace Corps allows 2 years of my life to pass by while I only get the highlights, but clearly there are still some low points to be had as well.

The days are getting longer and summer’s coming.  This means 4:30 AM morning runs and hotter weather, but also that the litchis, pineapples, and mangoes will be ripe any day now!

That’s the low-down, more later or feel free to send me an email/letter/brousse note and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment