Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Communicating in a Foreign Language

I want to preface this post by saying that I don’t mean to make fun of the Malagasy and their ability to speak English. In fact, I have a lot of respect for them as they seem a lot more enthusiastic about learning new languages and communicating with foreigners than Americans are.

As you know, I don’t have cell phone service at my site. I don’t mean I have to walk a few kilometers or climb to the top of a hill and hold my phone to the sky. I mean no service. This results in some interesting communication systems and unannounced visitors/visits to others. Recently the Peace Corps had to contact me through a local organization that has an office in the city where there is cell service. I think the note, while being entertaining, helps explain what it’s like trying to communicate in a foreign language. I think this is probably what I sound like in Malagasy too…


My friend who delivered it was appalled at the spelling of my name.


No comments:

Post a Comment