I am seeing now that there are some things that I can look forward to about being back in America in just a few months (eek!) but other things that Madagascar definitely does much better. Here's a short list.
Awesome things about the western world:
- Hot, running water.
- Running, drinkable water.
- Laundry machines.
- Hot tubs. (Okay, so I really only see these at nice hotels but I can say they are great!)
- Fast, efficient public transport that doesn't make you fear for your life and even when crowded isn't really that crowded.
- My family, friends, and easy communication with them.
- Grocery stores and all the food that is in them.
- Restaurants with efficient waitstaff and where everything on the menu is available.
- Not sticking out in every single crowd.
Things to enjoy in Madagscar while I still can:
- Sunlight and warm weather.
- Tropical fruits.
- Not feeling like everyone is rushing off somewhere else as fast as possible all the time. (If someone could offer some insight into where everyone is in a hurry to get to, it would be really helpful to me.)
- Not having mirrors everywhere. (Okay, so I could probably stand to check how I look before I leave the house in Madagascar more often, but I don't need to see myself in every other building I go into. You, lady primping in the mirror beside that amazing piece of art, should probably stop.)
- Knowing the local language. (I'll get this in America too, but in France I am a bit of a dummy. I've already spoken Malagasy to multiple waiters.)
- Not having human interactions interrupted by people checking their phones every 5 minutes.
- Living somewhere where everybody really does know my name, and they are always glad I came.
Well I'm sure there's always more that could be added, but I'm off to enjoy the things on the first list while I still can!