Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Diego

I’m coming to the end of a week of vacation up in Diego-Suarez, a city at the northernmost tip of Madagascar. It’s definitely been a relaxing week. I’ve enjoyed delicious food and drinks, time spent at the beach and poolside, and seeing the sights of the city. It’s really nice to get out and away from my village for a little bit.

Busy streets of Diego.


In the market.

Diego is a really cool city. The city is a pretty popular tourist destination, which means there are a few more white faces around. Though this means it can be pricey for someone living on a Peace Corps salary, it’s also nice to not be called “vazaha” or stared at as much. I’m realizing that I really don’t know much French, while almost every other white person here does. It gets confusing when I don’t know what the waitress said to me in French and my head starts to hurt while I’m trying to decide which language I should respond in. But I’ve also enjoyed a few precious moments where I forget I’m still in Madagascar. I’ve spent an afternoon by the pool reading a book without any children staring at me; I drank a cappuccino.

I baked cookies! It's like America in here.


Cappucino! Am I still in Madagascar?

Luckily there are still the reminders of the pleasantries of my Malagasy life. I sat in a brousse and slurped down a slice of watermelon bought out the window; I strolled through the bustling marketplace. And I’m glad to have every one of these experiences.


Ramena beach, as the fishermen bring in their daily catch.


Out near the Emerald Sea.



Boat ride to Emerald Sea.


No comments:

Post a Comment