Tuesday, March 6, 2012

One year...

March 1, 2011 was the 50th anniversary of the Peace Corps. It also happened to be the day that I stepped on a plane to head to Madagascar for my Peace Corps service. Here I am, one year later, still in Madagascar. Coming here was kind of an adventure with a safety net, where I entered with a group of other travellers to try something new. It’s been quite a year.

In the past year I’ve been through two intense trainings with the Peace Corps and about 10 months of life as an independent volunteer in a rural village. I’ve learned a language I had never even heard before setting foot in Madagascar. I’ve settled into a life where I’m the only white face to be seen for miles around. My schedule is highly regulated by the sun and weather. I live without daily electricity, running water in my house, or direct means of communication with the outside world. For weeks at a time all I really know about covers about a 5 or 10 km radius, plus tidbits I pick up on the radio (or from neighbors who heard it on the radio in Malagasy and transferred it on to me).

In a way I feel like my life in Ambohimanarina fits the classic expectation one might have when entering the Peace Corps, but what I’ve gotten out of the past year has been anything but expected. I’ve learned about the importance of time spent with your community and neighbors, and about the generosity and friendship of those living close to you. Work for me never quite fits the classic definition—sometimes it involves convincing a little kid that I’m not a frightening monster who will eat him. One day can run the complete spectrum of emotions, from boredom and loneliness, to feelings of support and success, to anger and frustration. I’ve also learned the importance of providing support for oneself—taking a break when needed and working to become comfortable and express oneself. And I’ve felt the self-conciousness slowly melting away as I am watched every day by both children and adults. I work my way through speeches in a new language and shopping in a market full of strange new foods, where I’m bound to say something or ask a question that is either completely unintelligible or hilarious to the listener.Mistakes are a fact of life, but also something that doesn’t stop its progress. I’ve learned that the only way to survive and be productive in such a new place is to be unafraid to ask questions and seek help. Independence does not mean that you can make it through everything you do without an extra pair of hands or another mind to complete the task.

I find myself wishing I could find a better way to express what it’s been like to be on the other side of the world for a year. I know that I’m lucky to be supported by an awesome family and friends back at home, and to have found a new set of both here in Madagascar. Thanks to all of you out there following along and supporting me along the way, and here’s to another successful year.

No comments:

Post a Comment