Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Malaysia: Part 2


 So it seems that I have a volunteering problem.  Maybe someday I’ll actually get paid to work…

I spent the last week volunteering on the Perhentian Islands with Ecoteer.  I’d definitely recommend the organization, and the vacation spot.  I was on Pulau Perhentian Kecil, living and working in the local Malaysian village.  The week was a much needed retreat from traveling in cities and provided the perfect balance of local life and island relaxation.  I met some beautiful villagers and interesting people from around the world.  I spent the week teaching English, gardening, cleaning up the environment, eating delicious Malay food, and snorkeling some incredibly beautiful beaches with lots of corals and sea life.  Here are some photos to summarize the experience (thanks to other volunteers/interns/staff who also took some of the photos):

Snorkeling

Butterfly-making craft time

Yummy Malay dinner

Game time

Boats on the island

 
Local women's group teaching us to cook Malay food
I’m off to Bangkok for a few days before I finally hit American soil in Hawaii.  I’m excited to see Bangkok but also ready to get back to USA, my friends and family, and not carrying my enormous backpack everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment