Monday, April 29, 2013

Eating my Way Through Singapore


From what I can tell, Singapore is basically one huge shopping mall/food court.  Okay, there are a lot of neat temples and mosques around, and I did hit up the pretty spectacular Singapore Botanic Gardens (then again, if it’s a garden I’ll probably enjoy it).  But really, if you want to shop and eat, come to Singapore.  I’m not so good at the first but tried to make up for it with the second, though next time I’m in Singapore I’m bringing a friend to share the food/allow me to try more things.

After living in Madagascar for two years, somehow any portion of rice is not enough.  Seriously, I’m in Asia looking at every bowl of rice and thinking, “really, that’s it?”  Also, what’s this with the forks and knives?  Just give me a spoon to shovel it all in.  And don’t even get me started on chopsticks.

But, I digress.  The food in Singapore was pretty darn good.  And diverse.  One of the things to do in Singapore is go eat at a hawker center.  It’s pretty much a stand-alone food court with different stalls specializing in different foods.  You can get tea, juices, rice, noodles, fried things…  I had chicken rice, a curry puff, several types of delicious juices, a fried green onion pancake... it’s all part of the experience, right? 

Hawker center.

Chicken rice.
This self-timer gem is dedicated to you, Meredith.

Juice!


The cool thing about eating (and travelling) in south east Asia so far is the variety.  The cultures of the region are all mixed up with Indian and Chinese influences.  There’s Hindu and Buddhist temples next to mosques next to churches.  I can eat an Indian “murtabak” (savory pancake) then turn the corner and have a Chinese dumpling.  Yes, please.  It’s a nice change after Madagascar, where you’re pretty much Malagasy or “vazaha” with nothing in between.

The one thing I am missing is fresh vegetables.  So when I come visit you in America, please serve me a nice green salad.  I will be sure to give you a souvenir in exchange.

Chicken murtabak and iced milk tea.

Beer!  And it's not THB!

Chopstick sale in Chinatown.

Words of wisdom, brought to you at the Singapore Botanic Gardens.

More milk tea and dumplings.

No comments:

Post a Comment