Thursday, April 25, 2013

South Africa

Stop one on my trip home: South Africa.

I took the short flight from Tana to Johannesburg with my friend and fellow COS-ing PCV, Katherine.  The taxi breaking down multiple times on the way to the airport and the driver having to bribe some policemen somehow seemed appropriate.  And the rude check-in clerk at the airport plus the inexplicable baggage fees somehow managed to make leaving Madagascar a bit easier.  I really am going to miss the people (Malagasy, American, and otherwise), but that kind of annoying disfunctionality is not going to be something I miss.

I decided to spring for a safari while I was in South Africa.  As one of the other PCVs put it so well, it was time to go to Africa to see "all those animals I thought would be in Madagascar."  The safari was awesome.  I was pretty excited just to see the big comfy bed in my room and have a nice, hot shower, regardless of the animals.  But the safari didn't disappoint.  The only one of the "big 5" I didn't see was lions, but I saw a leopard, a rhino, a bunch of elephants (including babies!) and cape buffalo.  There were a ton of other animals too: various antelopes-kudu, impala, nyala, spring boc, water buck; hippos, crocodiles, birds: crested franklins, lilac breasted rollers (beautiful with 27 different colors to their plumage!), and more; giraffe, zebra, gnu (aka wildebeest), black-backed jackals, wild dogs (really lucky--only 400 left in the world!), hyena, leopard tortoise, baboons...  I also met some other travellers on the safari which was nice.  It was nice to relate to those who had been travelling and I also got a chance to practice how I'll respond to all the questions people will be asking once I get back to the U.S.  "So, did you get a chance to see the countryside?"  Um...

I also had one day to spend in Johannesburg, so I took a train in, saw the Apartheid Museum, and took an open bus tour.  Jo-burg has a lot of history I didn't know about, so it was interesting to learn some.  The Apartheid Museum was powerful and disturbing.

All in all, South Africa has been an excellent vacation but I think it's also been an excellent first-step towards my re-entry to American life.  Roads with painted lanes, stop lights, new cars, clean running water, diverse people... all things that have been amazing and awesome to experience again.

I'm in the Abu Dhabi airport making my way onward; next stop Singapore.  I'll catch up with all of you later.

Here's the photographic proof I was there.

This giraffe was having lunch right behind the lodge.

Blyde River Canyon.  Stunning.

Nyalas joining us for breakfast.

Rhino
Lilac Breasted Roller.
Made me wish I had a nicer camera to do its beauty justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment