Monday, April 29, 2013

Random Musings on the World


I’ve been told re-entering America is going to be hard.  I’ve discussed it with other travellers and with other PCVs.  So far being outside of Madagascar has been a different experience.  I’ll share a few of the observations/comments that I’ve gathered so far.

First off, the world is really developed.  I mean, paved roads with lines in them, sidewalks and traffic lines?  WOW.  Somehow I thought being in Africa and even Asia would be like Madagascar.  Yeah, they paved the roads, but that’s about all the traffic control you’re likely to see.  Nope, I have to give it to South Africa and Asia, they really have their stuff together in the infrastructure department.

Bathrooms.  Clean, with running water and toilet paper.  Also really spectacular.

Technology.  Geez.  Could you put down your phone a second?  Part of me is scared of this cell phone craze.  I’m sitting on the subway watching 5-year-olds play with their parents’ phones and shriveled old men texting.  I am SO far behind.  The rest of me is annoyed by all the phones.  Can’t you talk to the person you’re with?  Also, could you quit snapping photos and actually look at the thing you’ve come around the world to see?

It’s interesting to gather opinions on America.  One man in Chinatown asked me who is the best, “Bush, W. Bush, Clinton, Obama, or John Kerry?”  That’s quite the question (and could someone explain why he put John Kerry in that list?).  A Malaysian taxi-driver told me that he thinks America is “too free.  You can’t tell who’s who.”  Maybe it’s just the born-and-bred American in me thinking that’s why America is great.  Then there’s the Kiwi woman in the hostel who’s shocked when a European is speaking English with an American accent, almost like it’s a bad thing.  Or the lady who poses for an “American-style” photo giving the thumbs-up sign.  Is that our peace sign in photos?  Or do we Americans just take ridiculous photos all the time?  (If that’s the case, I am truly American.)  Or the French girl who loved Atlanta for the shopping.  Atlanta?  On vacation?

Courtesy and good customer service.  This is something that I feel like America does pretty well (though I haven’t been there in a long time).  Travelling in various countries there have been airline representatives who completely ignored my questions, waiters who don’t even acknowledge that I sat down, bus drivers who can’t even say hi as I go to pay the fare.  I’m trying really hard to be nice, say please and thank you, is it too much to return the courtesy?

Women’s rights.  I was riding the bus back to my hostel in the evening and watched the bus loading.  There was about one woman for every 20 or 30 men.  In the restaurants there were no lone women or groups of women without at least one man present—usually the groups were 50/50 or majority men.  Where do all the women go at night?  Obviously the customs are different and I am not very familiar with the culture here that is heavily influenced by Islam and Buddhism.  I don’t feel unsafe as a woman, but I will say I am happy that I am going back to a place where it is not at all out of the ordinary for a woman to be out and about on her own, day or night.

One thing that seems ubiquitous is cheap tourist crap.  Every city has the same t-shirts, crappy clothing, key-chains, magnets, jewelry in some sort of kitchy stalls somewhere.  I heart (name your current city).

Well, hope you enjoyed those ramblings.  You can start looking forward to more when I come to a city near you!  Also, a big thank you to everyone who has made my journey safe and enjoyable thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment